Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Perfection....is limiting

In the recent issue of Metalsmith there is an article by Kiff Slemmons on imperfection. In it, the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi is discussed. Wabi-sabi is described as the beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete, the beauty of things modest and humble, the beauty of things unconventional. The article goes on to say that "Imperfection can offer openness, a way in, whereas perfection can sometimes be closed and frozen in place. Imperfection can contain energy - can make for flow. Perhaps imperfection is most obvious and easily understood in outsider or folk art, in which the expressive qualities are spontaneous and immediate".

This struck a chord with me because I struggle with perfection in my art. If you've ever worked in PMC you know that the clay can have a mind of its own....at least my clay does. It's not that perfection can't be achieved. I've had instructors that seem to do everything with an amazing level of precision and perfection....Celie Fago comes to mind. But I've come to accept that fact that perfection isn't me ..... imperfection is. And it's liberating. I don't have to be the perfect homemaker (thank God), the perfect employee, say the right things (outta my big mouth...yeah right), the perfect artist. Bumpy, irregular, off-center, cracked and split (this describes both my art and personality) are so much more interesting than perfect.

Speaking of perfection. Every woman wants her face to look perfect. I used a new product over the weekend. I primer of sorts that you put on your face before make-up....suppose to smooth out the lines and let your make-up just glide on. Well...I woke up Sunday with a rash/hives all over my face. So much for the perfect face. It's settling down now but it's probably going to take a week to clear up. Hubby is down in Florida for a conference and I was telling him all about this. You know what he said??? "Throw that stuff out....you have always had a nice face". So once again...I don't have to be perfect....cause my hubby likes my face just the way it is. Love that man!!!

No comments: