Saturday, February 9, 2008

John Glenn, anvils, and a great bead book!!

The hospital where I work brings in different speakers during the year. This week was John Glenn. What an amazing man!! He is sharp, articulate, sincere, and funny. I could have 10 lives and not have his experiences. He was a fighter pilot in the Korean War, WWII, an astronaut, and a Senator. He talked about his experiences in the space...both the first and second times. It was amazing the things they faced going up the first time. They had no idea if the shape of his eyes would change or if he would loose his equilibrium due to the effects of zero gravity. He had to read an eye chart every 20 minutes to verify that he could still see correctly. The concern was that he wouldn't be able to bring the capsule back successfully if either of these happened. He was concerned with an emergency re-entry. His flight path went over Austrailia's outback and New Guinea. Many of the areas had aboriginal tribes that didn't speak English...so he kept a piece of paper that basically said..."Hello...I am friendly...take me to your leader" in a bunch of tribal dialects. He said he wanted to take a space walk on his second time up...when he was 77....but NASA was afraid he would wander off :)) He pounded home improving education and continuing basic research in the US as a way to maintain being a world leader and to keep people employeed.

I'm gearing up for a show in a couple of weeks. Pumping out the earrings, bracelets, and necklaces....which is good because I'm using up my stock of beads and silver. Once the show is over I want to work with sheet metals. I went to Home Depot today to get an anvil. I couldn't find them so I asked 2 guys working there. No....they don't sell them. So....being guys... I asked if they knew where I could get one....they said to try a hardware store. Is it me??? I thought I was in a hardware store. Nuts, bolts, nails, power tools....doesn't that say hardware store to you??? So I'm now in search of a "hardware store" that sells anvils. Got any suggestions?

I got Stephanie Sersich's book today..."Designing Jewelry with Glass Beads". The book and her beads are awesome. I always buy beads from her at the B&B Show. Her hearts, starfish, flowers.....awesome. I took her Spiny Knotted Bracelet class a couple years ago. It's fun to make...not as hard as it looks....but it will take me some practice to make one them as gorgeous as Steph's. She has been collaborating with Michele Goldstein on some pieces...they are really amazing. So different than anything I've seen.

No comments: