Saturday, October 5, 2013

More on London....



The National Gallery is located at Trafalgar Square.  It's been open since 1838 and houses over 2300 European paintings from the 13th to the 19th century.  I wanted to go mostly to see the collection of Impressionists but there were a number of other masterpieces that we sought out....Bottecelli, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Holbein.

Unfortunately they did not allow photography...which I found baffling.  And they are very serious about that.  I saw a guard yelling at someone trying to snap a quick pic.

Which made me really nervous when Lou and I started admiring one of the Rembrandt's.  Lou was pointing at the picture and I kept telling him to stop pointing.  He was getting too close to the painting and most of these museums have electric eyes that set off an alarm if you get close.  But Lou kept gesturing and I kept telling him to stop. 

We went back and forth like this until Lou said..."Gail, Gail, (and then in a hushed tone) Gail...shut the fuck up". 

Well if you know me...my mouth fell open and my hand went up on my hip and I said..."What did you say to me".  Lou looked a little sheepish and kind of mumbled something. 

I told him...."In 25 years together, you have never said anything like that to me".  Still looking a little sheepish he said...."Oh I've said it...this is just the first time you've heard it".

At which point we both cracked up laughing.  He is soooo lucky I have a good sense of humor.

More pictures of the sights around Westminster.  I love the architecture.


A look back to Big Ben from Trafalgar Square.


We finished the day by walking to Buckingham Palace. Below is Admiralty Arch.  It is at one end of The Mall and the Palace is at the other end. I read that this used to house government offices but has recently been leased to a developer to make it into a luxury hotel.



Buckingham Palace.  This was the balcony where we watched Charles and Diana kiss and more recently where William and Kate kissed.





This was only our second day in London and we walked our feet off.

No comments: