Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Priorities....

At the beginning of every year people talk about resolutions and set their priorities for the year. I would have done this New Year’s Eve but I was too busy drinking champagne and wrapping balloons around my head. I was having a good time. We all had a good time.


So I’ve been thinking about my priorities for the year. What I want to accomplish…things I want to learn. We do this at work. This year it is mandatory to write an IDP….Individual Development Plan. Organizations do this at a very high level….they write strategic plans….but they usually don’t require each and every employee to do this. The employee’s IDP’s has to align with the goals of the organization. The idea is that if all the employees have goals aligned with the overall organization then the organization has the collective momentum of everyone moving toward the same goals.

So if I have to write one for work I should at least give some thought about my personal goals. There are so many things I want to do, books I want to read, jewelry I want to make, places I want to go.  I need another lifetime.  I don't have the time to do everything so it's time to prioritize....to figure out what is important....what direction I want to take....at least for now.

Maybe my first priority should be to not wrap balloons around my head.
.

1 comment:

Katie Hanrahan said...

Good for you, Gail. You can still wrap balloons around your head - just don't make it a priority. ;-)