Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mold Making Monday

Yesterday I was off work...waiting for the delivery guys to show up.  After 30 years I finally bought a new bedroom dresser and night stand. I bought from a local furniture store that sells pieces for Yutzy's Woodworking.  Yutzy's is located in Millersburg Ohio and the pieces are Amish made.  It took 8 weeks for the pieces to be made but it was well worth the wait.  They are gorgeous and the craftsmanship is outstanding.

It's so nice to have drawers that glide open silently rather than ones I have to yank, pull and tug on.  It's also going to be nice to not have sawdust on my clothes.  The old pieces are antiques....which in this case just means OLD.  I had glued and nailed and put both pieces back together more times than I want to remember.  The last straw was when I went to open up one of the drawers and the whole front of it pull off in my hands.  Hence...new furniture.

So, while I waited for them to show up I pulled out the molding material and went to work.  I found some interesting wooden print blocks from India on Etsy. 



I also found an Etsy shop that sells Buddha amulets.  The shop is based in Thailand.



I also have some small brass African masks.  There was a DUH moment here.  Not an AHA moment because there was no epiphany involved.  It was more of an....I have been so stupid moment.  Usually when I make molds it involves pressing the item down into the molding material. When they are relatively flat...like coins...this works well.  When they have high relief or have a shape other than flat it becomes a problem.

I have been stuck in the way I do things.  I've always put the molding material on a flat surface and pressed into it.  Sometimes with deeper things I pressed right through the molding material.  It never dawned on me to pick up the molding material and press it onto the item I'm molding.  I did this with the mask since it was deep and rounded.  You can see that the molding material is cupped around the mask.



Love those DUH moments.
.

No comments: