Tuesday, July 21, 2009

You better watch out...

You better not cry ...Better not pout... I'm telling you why....

Obama is coming to town. He will be in Cleveland on Thursday and will be at my hospital, Cleveland Clinic, before he goes to Shaker Heights High School for a town hall meeting. Unfortunatley when he is at the Clinic...it is closed to the media and to the employees. I didn't find out about the town hall until it was too late. If I had seen the notice before 3PM I could have put my name in a lottery to get tickets. Oh well.

One of the docs at work lives on the street to the school. Obama has to drive by her house to get to the school. She and her husband are going home early to see if they can catch a glimpse of him.

He is here to talk about healthcare reform. He has mentioned Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic as models for the efficient delivery of healthcare. Reform is a difficult subject. People expect the best healthcare possible with the most innovative techniques and the smartest people...but that all comes at a price. I have worked in healthcare for the past 30 years and I can tell you that there are no corporate big wigs taking home multi-million dollar salaries and stock options. If there is money at the end of the year it goes back into the hospital to recruit the best people, buy better equipment, train employees on new techniques. It goes to make things better for the patients. Can you say the same thing about most multi-billion dollar corporations?

On another topic....I thought I poisoned Sophie tonight. The kids have fleas so I got Frontline to treat them. You have to place the solution in the vial on the skin between their shoulder blades. Well Sophie can reach that spot. A bit after the application she decide to lick that area. She instantly started acting weird...like she was going to barf...and started drooling. All this is happening while my mom was on the phone. So I threw the phone over to Lou and ran after the cat. I got a towel soaked in water and put it all around her mouth so she would lick her mouth and get some water. And my mom was still talking on the phone. Sophie is OK. I did a search on the Internet. I figured she wasn't the first cat to lick this stuff so it probably wasn't poisonous. Other people reported this happening and suggested the next application be higher up on the neck. But it scared me. I thought I killed my cat. And my mom....she's still talking on the phone :)....not really.

Needless to say I didn't get anything done tonight.

No comments: