Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Photography...UGH!!

Most artists I know cringe when it comes to taking product shots of their work.  I'm one of them.  I've taken classes and tried a number of different set-ups including shooting outside.  Most of the time I shoot inside with a light tent.  I've tried using one light source, two light sources, three light sources....the variations have been endless.  So once again I'm trying something new.  I have been shooting against a black background.  It's actually a black shelf I bought at Target.  It's a bit reflective and it's flat.  When I take a long shot or a picture of something tall I end up getting the back of the light tent in the picture.  I have twisted and draped and arranged myself in a number of positions to avoid this.

So now I am trying another variation. I finally found some lights with small stands on them that I can position on the table.  Before these I had lights with clamps on them and I was clamping them to chairs and to the overhead chandelier....and hoped that I wouldn't bring it crashing down.  I also got a graduated back sweep which blocks out the back of the tent. 

Tonight I took some pictures of a copper cuff....a big ass copper cuff that I am putting in the South Wing Gallery show. 





 
 
I still like a black background even though most magazine photographers tell you to use white or a graduated one.  I can see I still need to play with this a bit.  The pics taken on the white background look a little washed out to me.  They looked better in Photoshop. 
 
Guess I will keep plugging away at it.  I wish photography was something that I had a handle on.  This continuous tweaking takes up way too much time.
 
Which photos do you like best???
.

.

9 comments:

Kumi Fisher said...

I personally prefer the black for the copper cuff as it shows the warm copper tone. I agree with you Gail that the white washes out the the detail. The cuff is beautiful! Gorgeous work as always :)

Niky Sayers said...

I like the dark back ground much more it really make the piece stand out

Unknown said...

I like the black background...I typically shoot my jewelry outside for natural lighting and when I do it right it doesn't take much editing, but I still need a lot work.

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

I like the second photo best, I think it shows the jewelry well without any light bouncing off the metal.

lynsey said...

Mmmm the top one is probably my favorite, I know what you mean about photography. I know mine has vastly improved since I first started but it could still do with some tweaking, I have a light cube now and I only use my boyfriends Digital SLR which has helped to improve things no end

Kim (Red Tree Studio) said...

I like the contrast (for this piece) of the black. There's not enough of the gradient to help balance out the white. I agree the piece looks a little washed out - maybe try using black boards positioned outside the frame to help define the edges a bit? The edges pick up the black and thus gives more contrast against the white. If I can find the darn blog that I saw it in I'll pass you the link.

Kim (Red Tree Studio) said...

Ah hah - here's one http://www.beadinggem.com/2011/10/natural-light-jewelry-photography-with.html

Mary Newton Designs said...

Yep, I like the 1st one, too. Beautiful cuff!

Alice Walkowski said...

I vote for the black too