Monday, December 1, 2008

It wasn't me.......

I spent the day at the Art Institute of Chicago. What a great place. I always spend time here when I come to Chicago. I didn't go see my beloved impressionists but instead I spent most of the time in the Asian art section. I was checking out all the bronze pieces. Amazing. Plus there was alot of great textures and designs to be gleaned from those pieces. If only I could just slap some molding compound on them:)) So I was taking a picture of some stone tablets...



and instead of using the zoom I thought I would just get closer. And as only I can do.....I set off the alarm. IT WASN'T ME....I didn't touch it...but I guess I got too close. There was an attendant in the room....I just looked over and said..."too close...huh". She looked at me like I was an idiot and I started laughing. Oh well.

Below is a bronze bowl with little women at four corners to hold it up. I thought this was really cool. Wouldn't you just love to have something like this in your home?? I wish I could find reproductions of this stuff somewhere.



The museum also has a exhibit of tapestries until January 4th....Four Centuries of Europeon Tapestries


They were beautiful. It took 13 years for them to be restored. A company in Belgium did the work. They had a room that explained the restoration process which itself was amazing. They vacuum them and then exposed them to a mist and then suction the water out to remove even more dirt. They also special dye thread to match the tapestries so they can repair them. The immense size of these pieces are mind boggling. The one above is probably 12 feet high. My head came up to the soldiers waist. I sat and stared at one of a village scene and what amazed me is the shading that is done with thread. When a painter doesn't get it right, they can paint over or retouch the error. When a weaver doesn't get it right they have to take out all the threads. The tapestries are displayed under low light and for every month that they are on display they are "rested" for 1 year. These tapestries are going to be on display for 2 months which means they will be in put into storage for 2 years minimum. If you want to see them...get there before January 4th.

One other piece I wanted to share.....


Which one of my favorite teachers does this remind you of...if you are thinking Susan Lenart Kazmer...then you would be right. She spent time in Africa which is why some of her pieces have nails driven into them. They are to exhibit power.

I picked up a book on Assyrian and Babalonian art and found three other books that I have put on my wish list. It was a good day. Lou is so worried that I am by myself....I love these types of days when I can do things at my own speed and just be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it wouldn't be a proper vacation if you didn't break something, fall down or set off an alarm, right? :) Love the SLK-like piece-very cool. And that bowl!!! I like the dragon handles as well as the strong women. Bring your books (and any other goodies you got) to the Dec meeting!