Saturday, March 26, 2011

Class with Hadar...

Hadar Jacobson is in town to teach a workshop for our local PMC guild.  I've never worked with her clay before so this was a chance to try it out and learn some new techniques.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like mixing up my own clay, but it was easy and much cleaner than I thought it would be.  Today we worked with bronze and copper.  We did inlay and created bull's eye canes. 

It's a two-stage firing schedule, the first stage is to burn off the binder.  For the second stage you let the clay cool down and then refire.  Tomorrow we will work on finishing the pieces we made today and hope to get a second firing in with the cane pieces we made today. 

Here are some pictures from class...

 Deb... my partner in crime for the weekend.

 Vanessa and Katie

 Pat, Marilyn, and Noreen

 Kaite and Hadar

 My first piece.  Bronze inlaid with copper.  Still sanding it down.

My sanded piece before it goes into the kiln

 Group picture

The firing container is a ceramic blanket.

 Sally, Katie and Hadar

Me...hard at work.
.

6 comments:

Joan said...

You look great! We have not met in person but I can tell from the photos that you have lost weight! I am going to be taking this same class with Hadar in April in Chicago. Is she as great a teacher as she seems like she would be from her books?

Carol Dee, CZT said...

Can't wait to see finished pieces. They all look wonderful!

Katie Hanrahan said...

Fabulous workshop - I had a ball!! Your piece came out really nice, Gail!!

Gail said...

Thanks Girls. Joan...Hadar is a good teacher. I think you will enoy the class. I did!!

Mary Newton Designs said...

Last picture...you look great!

Gail said...

Thanks for the compliments on my weight loss!!