Sunday, January 6, 2008

Weekend Workshop

There's a new teacher on my Favorite's List.....Mary Hettmansperger. Our PMC guild had a weekend metals workshop with her. GREAT CLASS...GREAT TEACHER!!! We hammered, cut, punched, drilled, embossed, textured, torched and twined copper sheet metal. We also combined it with PMC and fired it. Half way through today's class I was exhausted.

I took my splint off before class....good thing...with my clumsiness this week I would have probably caught it on fire. I ended up hitting my thumb 3 times with the hammer. I finally realized I should hold the small pieces with a pair of pliers while hammering...DUH.



Mary with Wendy at the torch


Vanessa, Brenda, Deb and Jen...all hard at work on their projects.

Colleen (VP), Cathy (Pres), and Mary Ann


Mary with Deb. Dulcie and Jan in the background.


The pic sucks...but here are some of my projects....they all need to be finished. Upper left and lower right we sandwiched extruded PMC between sheets of copper. Upper right and lower left are PMC and copper combined and fired. The other pieces are just some experiments with copper and color. I was amazed at the colors that you could get from copper. I think that was my favorite part....pulling the copper from the torch and watching the color spread across the piece.

Check out Mary's website. She is talented in so many things. Her gourds, baskets and weavings are amazing. And she is very nice and has a great sense of humor. The weekend was a blast. Too bad I have to go back to work tomorrow. All I want to do is stay home and work with the new techniques.

No comments: