Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bronze...I just can't quit you


I haven't worked in silver in over a year.  I'm just to synced into the bronze.  I'm still working in the original too.  The colors keep me working in original.  Yesterday as I worked in the studio there were a lot of thoughts going through my head about the things I've heard about metal clay's other than silver. 

I've heard people complain about the bronze...it's messy, it takes to long to fire, blah, blah, blah.  Some have even gone as far as to say it isn't really a metal like a sheet bronze, it's not strong, you can't forge it. 

Well...it's not sheet metal.  Neither is silver PMC.  It's different.  Just like acrylics aren't oils aren't watercolors.  They are all different forms of paint.  And strength....I've been wacking the crap out of it all weekend long and it's forging beautifully.  Messy....yes it's messy.  The fast fire bronze is cleaner...but still messy. 

I was enjoying myself yersterday working at the bench.  I was thinking about various other art forms and the inherent messes that are associated with each one.  My only conclusion was.....put your Big Girl panties on and deal....or go do something else. 

That had me laughing all afternoon.
.

6 comments:

Riki Schumacher said...

Love it! I need to get off my backside and play with this more. Can't afford the silver these days! Riki

Gail said...

Hi Riki...I am stunned by the price of silver these days.

Lorena Angulo said...

I agree with you Gail !
I am obsess with bronze and really enjoy working with it.
You do a great job with it and have to keep creating your wonderful pieces !!

Kristen said...

Gail, I completely agree with you. I've only been working with bronze for a few months so far but I LOVE it. I love the texture and the feel of the bronze clay more than PMC. I even like the smell of it more than the smell of PMC. I love the colors you can get from bronze even without any patina process at all. And I think I'm just naturally drawn to the "ancient artifact" look you can get with bronze. It's just not the same with silver.

Gail said...

LOL. Lore and Kristen have the bronze bug!!!

Barbara Briggs said...

Art is messy in general! I haven't found a medium yet that doesn't fall into that category and I tell that to my husband every time he comments that my studio looks like a hurricane swept through. I love bronze too -sticky mess and all - and am still using my stash of the old formula, although the new FASTfire BronzClay awaits me and the faster firing time will save on kiln life. Bronze combines so well with silver wire and sheet and I love the combination of "silver and gold" metals.