Friday, January 1, 2010

Recipe for a New Year

No I'm not switching over to a cooking blog....everyone who knows me knows that I don't cook...much. But this recipe is easy and wonderful and just the thing for a cold winter day.

Forgotten Jambalaya....chop everything up, throw it in the slow cooker, and "forget about it".

1 can 14-1/2 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can 14-1/2 oz beef or chicken broth (I use chicken)
1 can 6 oz tomato paste
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp dried basil
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1-1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 pound medium shrimp
Hot cooked rice

In a 5-qt slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the shrimp. Cook on high for 4 hours. Stir in shrimp and cook for 30 minutes longer. Serve over the rice.

My brother, who is becoming quite the cook, ate 3 bowls at Christmas....so I think he liked it. If you have the time make it the day before. Letting is sit overnight does something magical to it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

This looks yummy! And I love slow cooker 'forget about it' dinners. Thanks!