Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Anatomy of a Design

Years back I took a bead stringing class in Santa Fe from Marla Gassner.  I remember she described a design technique she used called "puddling".  In creating a new design she would put together puddles of beads so she could decide which combinations worked best. 

When I create my jewelry, my bench usually ends up with multiple puddles on it.  When they all converge into one large puddle I know it's time to clean the bench. 

Recently I put together a necklace around a large lentil for my gallery show.  Here are some pictures of the puddles I made.



I put beads in and take them out until I have something I like.  Here is the finished necklace.
 


 
 
The cats were hard at work being puddles of fur...........
 
 
 
.
 

 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are impressive articles. Keep up the sunny handiwork.

Unknown said...

When something is created by yourself, it makes a special place in your heart. So is the case with jewelry, thus I mostly trying to create my jewelry by myself. Your stuff is really nice. I wish you have provided the method as well… hoping this in your next post.. thanks…

Silver jewelry Fort Lauderdale

Unknown said...

Great jewelry the designs look so vintage.

Thanks,
Wedding Ring

Handmade Jewellery said...

Great craft you have there! Thanks to your bead stinging class and your fine skills , of course! :)